Sunday, June 24, 2012

Talents

It puzzles me every time I hear someone say "I have no talents." And if you are one of those people then here is what I have to say to you. Everyone has a talent. What? EVERYONE. You may think you aren't good at anything, but it's just simply that you aren't looking for what you are good at. Sure there are those "born with talent" but that just means that one guy can run faster than you because he's more coordinated. It doesn't mean you don't have the ability to run at all does it? Nope, no way, you are wrong. You have a talent.

When I was young I loved the piano so much that I begged my mother to let me take piano lessons. She couldn't afford to send me until I turned twelve, but when I got the opportunity, I jumped on it. Even though I had all these friends who could whip out Pachelbel's Cannon in D and I was learning to play Mary had a Little Lamb, I still practiced as much as I could to catch up with them. Eventually I got up to their level and guess what? Now I have the talent of playing the piano. Did I always know how to play? No, I didn't. I learned by practice. This is how life is. If you want to learn how to do something, you simply practice. 

The way I see it is the sky is the limit. If you are telling yourself you aren't talented then you are refusing to give yourself the opportunity to be talented just simply by saying "I have no talents." You are therefore guaranteeing for yourself that you will never achieve more than what you are now. You will never progress to learning something new. You will just go on and continue to be who you are now. I am not saying that you don't still learn and grow as a person through other experiences. But a talent helps to define who YOU are. Some people are more musical, computer oriented, crafty, social, etc. We are all different and that is what makes being in this world so fun. We all have a purpose. 

So why should I care if I have a talent? Why am I even reading this stupid post eh? Well, I'm not sure really except for the fact that your talents could make you more money if you pursue a particular talent for a career. Or it could help you serve others when they need a hand with something. Or they could just simply help you feel better. You will realize that you are somebody instead of just an average Joe. Progression and accomplishment can be the biggest reward in life. To be good at something, to have any kind of specific purpose at all is the best medication for depression or low self-esteem that I have discovered. And it works, I promise. So find a purpose. Find your talent and you will be an all around happier person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment